Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Unlimited Vacation...We've got that!

I recently noticed an article on the Yahoo Finance Blog that does a great job of highlighting the benefit offered by some employers of unlimited vacation time.



Centric offers unlimited vacation time and, for my part, I do find it better than traditional policies that have pre-determined time that can be taken based on employee level and other factors. Ultimately, it's not because I take more time off than I used to, but more about not having to worry about vacation time tracking or planning, allowing me to focus on the balance of living my life.  

I don't get to the last month of the year and say "Ugh, I still have two weeks left to take or I lose the time." or "I'd love to take two weeks off to go to a once in a decade family reunion, but need to save a day for after Thanksgiving for clean-up".  As long as it works in the context of my clients' expectations and delivery schedule, it's just a matter of me managing my time effectively.

Having read the article, I became interested in my behavior and found that last year I didn't take any more time than I had at previous companies.  So for me, "unlimited" vacation policy is liberating.  It's nice to know it's there.  I'm sure one day I'll use more time, for some special circumstance, so I'm happy that our policy and my company supports me and provides this benefit.

What do you think?

1 comment: